Paying for Home Care

How to pay for your care

Our content is reviewed regularly by care professionals.
This page was last updated on 15 February 2024

Request Your Care Plan Assessment

For Families and Individuals Seeking Home Care Services

    Paying for Home Care

    If this is the first time you have approached a care company, then we know it can be a time of stress. Acknowledging that either you or a loved one need help to live independently can be fraught with emotion. Additionally, trying to navigate through what you have to pay for and what you are entitled to, can become time consuming and confusing.  To help you we have put below are some frequently asked questions to support you to make the right decision for you.

    How can I persuade my mum she needs some support?

    Our advice is to sit down with your loved one and try to understand how they are feeling and what concerns they may have.  At Esteem we absolutely believe that people should have as much control as possible, which is why we work hard to deliver care that people both need and want.

    What funding could I be entitled to?

    The first part of this process is for you to have a needs assessment. You can request this by going to the website here  Getting a social care needs assessment – NHS (

    What other help is available to me?

    There are a variety of ways of receiving funding for care.  Below are some of the choices that may be available to you:

    1. Direct payments – This allows you to receive a payment directly which means you can choose the people or company you want to deliver that care.  To find out more click here  Apply for direct payments – GOV.UK ( .

    2. Continuing Health care – If you or a loved one have a long-term complex care need or end of life care need you may be entitled to continuing health care funding. There is some helpful information, as well as checklists to see if you qualify here.  NHS continuing healthcare – NHS (

    2. Attendance allowance – If you do not qualify for any of the above and are above the state pension age, you could be entitled to attendance allowance.  Benefits if you’re over State Pension age – NHS (

    If you have any questions about funding for elderly care your local council should provide you with information and advice on the subject.